Tracking our time helps with understanding how we use our time, improving our estimates, staying within regular working hours, staying on top of project budgets, and accurately billing our clients.
We use Harvest for time tracking.
Our rules are simple:
- Track all your paid working time, on average 40h hours per week (based on a 5 day work week, or fewer according to your contract).
- Track time for anything non-client related on the project Internal.
- Track vacation, sick days, and other absence on Internal → Absence.
- Track time based on activity categories, not by specific task (i.e. web development instead of implementing component #45). Write notes to add more detail.
- When adding notes to your time entries, consider they might end up on a client report or invoice.